Saturday, May 18, 2013

To The New Volunteers

The new volunteers are going to be here in a little over a month!
(I'll be in the group at the airport welcoming you!! Can't wait!)...

Also all the EA volunteers are going to be joining me this year in Misserete for their training! 

I am sure you have all figured out by now that you should be stuffing your faces full of your favorite foods and spending every last moment with your loved ones..

At this point you have your suitcases all packed up!? Right!! Just kidding – but I bet that you at least have that pile ready to go and are wondering how on earth you are going to fit it into your bags.

Here are some of my tips for packing and getting ready to leave :)


***

I think that the biggest mistake I made (well one of two) was that I spent so much of my free time before I left being stressed about my luggage. I wrote this in an earlier post but honestly – If it is something that you can not (literally) live without you will be able to find it here – this is a country and people live here – and they are surviving somehow. Everything else is just comforts.

My second biggest mistake was probably that I waited to long to stop working and spent a very “short” amount of time trying to visit with family in friends – and getting everything set to go. Everything felt rushed. It is also possible that any amount of time would have felt that way... and I needed the money.. so it is what it is.

Pack your favorite snack foods. Hide some away so that you can't touch them until after training. You may think that you are having a bad day and just really need that handful of Peanut Chews during training – but you will regret eating them all if none of them make it to Post – and you are all alone in a village you don't know sitting around in an empty house missing home. When I packed my suitcases I packed one for training – and everything for my house went in the second one (with at least half of my snacks) that way I didn't even have to open that second suitcase until I moved into my house at post. I would do that again.

Don't pack to many clothes. You will get more made when you get here anyway. Pack gray or brown cotton t-shirts.. sandals.. underwear if you wear it.. if you are an EA volunteer pack some clothes for working in the fields. I know that Peace Corps stresses the business casual – but honestly in our sector – you won't need business casual to work in a garden. As long as your skin is appropriately covered in the right places its OK. Bring clothes that are going to get dirty. Bring clothes that you won't mind throwing out before you COS.

Pack a Photo Album. I had a photo album printed on Mixbook (it might be too late to get one of those printed for your stage – but hey care packages!!). In this country it is really popular, when you are visiting with someone, for them to bring out their photo albums to show you their family, or big events in their lives (weddings, funerals, graduations).. Beninese people LOVE when you have photos to share with them as well. Plus if you are like me – kind of shy – and don't speak french (at least didn't a month before departure) – a photo album is a great way to break the ice with your host family.

Pack vitamins. Pack face cream. Pack a Journal. Pack a solar charger if you are so inclined (I haven't used mine yet because I have electricity – but there are still black outs and I am glad that I have it!). Pack a Camera. Pack USA Forever stamps.. most of us send our mail back to the states with other volunteers to be posted. Pack tacky putty (for hanging photos on your walls).. and one of those 3M hooks for hanging up your raincoat. Pack a towel and some Duct Tape. You will be fine. :)

Stop worrying about how you are going to fit all of that stuff in your suitcase and go eat a stress free dinner with your family.. if you drink have a nice glass of wine.. eat something delicious for dessert. Give your family lots of hugs tell them all not to worry :)

Oh and if anyone wants to pick me up a Vegan Cheesesteak in Philly.. there is a really awesome place called Blackbird Pizzeria on 6th and Lombard.

I don't care how old and squished it will be when you get here.
Z

** To my friends at home.. no I have not gone crazy.. Citi Marketplace is still my favorite for a Veg Cheesesteak – but Blackbird is closer to their hotel.. and it is also incredibly delicious – plus I miss their pizza. 

No comments:

Post a Comment