I am writing an extra blog post this week. AND i am dedicating it to my Mom.. because she requested more posts (apparently a weekly post – on a weekly blog is not adequate)... and because I know that she is sitting at her computer at home either shamelessly promoting me on her facebook (maybe for fear that I will stop writing – don't worry mom I won't) or refreshing the blog incessantly in hopes that something has been updated (even though it's not the weekend). Hope you are pleasantly surprised <3
Thoughts At The End of Training
Five Things I Will No Longer Hate Doing After the Peace Corps:
- Going to the Verizon Store... today at the MTN store trying to get my phone replaced I actually said to another volunteer “I really miss queues”
- Washing and Drying... Not to be redundant... But I will never again complain about having to put my clothes in the washing machine.
- Public Transportation.. NJ Transit IS NOT that bad. As much as I hate taking the bus, at least you get your own seat. (ok maybe I will still dislike buses, just not to the same extent)
- Waiting For The Mailman.. he might take awhile, especially when you know that special letter is coming. BUT you know he will arrive.. and you know the letter will too.
- Boiling Water... at home I always avoided cooking most things that involved boiling water... I don't like waiting... I think after 2 years of constantly boiling my drinking water (on stoves that seem to take twice as long) I will become desensitized. Or maybe this country will teach me how to wait.
Ten Things I Will Miss Most From Home Revisited:
The Shore – Yes Please
Philadelphia’s Vegan Food Scene – I shamelessly follow you online from afar..
Peanut Chews – I have been doing a pretty good job of rationing these out (thank god)
Going on Road Trips – American Road Trips yes... I have no desire to go on a road trip here.
Game Nights – I keep thinking about buying some games and then I remember I have no one to play with :(
Constant Internet Access – Well I caved on that one pretty quickly.
Showers – Bucket Showers!!
Reliable Electricity – So what if it all goes out occasionally?
Sundresses – You would be surprised how quickly thighs become scandalous.
Iced Tea – Oh.. now that I reminded myself!
After Training (still in no specific order)
Food In General (I have no problems keeping my diet here but BOY do I miss some variety)
Safe Tap Water
A Soft Pillow
Reading Cory Booker's Twitter every morning after checking the news.
I'll check back on this one after my first three months at post :)
Don't Forget to Smile Today!