Friday, August 10, 2012

Post Visit Week 1


I've come to realize that the next two years of my life are going to be disorganized and always filled with confusion – and somehow I'm going to have to learn to live with that.

That being said. I have a very strong suspicion that they did not know I was coming.

Right now we are in an experimental – never before attempted – stage of training called the “On-The-Job” Interval.. Which is a silly name. We haven't received any technical training and are not actually supposed to be “on the job.” Our task for the these two weeks is to meet the members of the community, introduce ourselves to our neighbors, the tailor and the boutiques closest to our house, meet the local school directors (who btw are on summer vacation- good thinking PC), and visit the local market and see what is and isn't available. I am spending these two weeks living with my supervisors family.

I am replacing a third year volunteer, she started the project here in Misserete. Which is really great, but CeRPA (who I work for), doesn't have experience receiving a new volunteer. And the Peace Corps has seemed to have forgotten this – hence total confusion. Right now the current volunteer lives in the village of Vakon, between central Misserete and Porto Novo - - and every one assumed that I would be living there too... but Peace Corps had wanted to find me a house closer to the office (and then forgot), which is a good thing, but it means that I don't know what village I will be living in... so much for getting to know my neighbors and local boutique.

Instead, I have been doing my little neighborhood assignments in Vakon where the current volunteer lives, and spending most of my time shadowing her at meetings and when she goes to work with the groupments (groups of people who grow crops and then sell them to the markets). This is what I am going to be doing, both with the groupments she is currently working with and also with some new ones. SO working with her has been very helpful and a lot of fun. A good alternative to getting to know my neighborhood... since I don't know my neighborhood. I even got to plant some trees the other day!!! I am probably learning more about where I live on a greater scale since I am spending a lot of time in neighboring areas where I won't actually be living. AND we made taco salad for lunch the other day with another volunteer who will be leaving at the end of the month. So yes... Things are looking up.

Send me taco seasoning packets :)

Love
Z

1 comment:

  1. We send you some spices yesterday.Will send you more in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete